This Norman Revival building was originally designed by James Renwick, Jr. after a nationwide design competition in 1846. Though officially named the Smithsonian Institution Building, it is more commonly referred to as the Castle. The site was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. Today, the building serves as a visitor information center and institution headquarters.
Prior to working on the Castle as part of an ongoing South Campus Master Plan, Silman provided structural engineering services for interior renovations, exterior assessments, seismic condition assessments, perimeter security, and blast protection upgrades.