Founded in 1869 and designed by Ernest Flagg, this Beaux-Arts building served as both art gallery and academic art studio and workshop space for the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design. The building was added to the National Register for Historic Places in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1992.
Silman was the structural engineer for the 2010 modifications to the vintage early iron roof structure to support new skylights and copper cladding to match the existing structure. The existing structure was investigated and analyzed for the planned addition of new roofing materials and new mechanical systems, and then reinforced to accommodate the new loads. Silman performed a structural investigation of the roof and attic to provide schematic repair and treatment recommendations for existing deterioration and possible modifications. Roughly 21,000 sf of glass atop the Corcoran was replaced in a historically sensitive manner, during which time the museum remained open to the public.
Silman’s more recent scope of work for includes structural engineering services for a renovation project, which involved a full upgrade of the building’s mechanical systems to satisfy the requirements of the National Gallery of Art, along with improvements to classrooms, amenities, accessibility and life safety.