Congregation Beth Elohim is comprised of two buildings on the corner of Garfield Place and Eighth Avenue in Brooklyn’s Park Slope neighborhood. The 1909 sanctuary building is a two-story Beaux-Arts buff-colored limestone and red brick building with a steel skeleton. The 6-story temple house building across the street was constructed in 1929 to provide additional space.
Repairs and restoration of the landmark-designated sanctuary were initiated following a roof collapse. Silman’s work began with an existing conditions survey and report.
Silman has also completed an exterior restoration of Temple House: roof replacement (conversion to rooftop playground), cast stone and brick masonry restoration, and wood window repair, as well as master plan for lower levels and existing conditions report.